So far tonight the addition of Julian to the mix has brought an elusive world, folk sensibility to the mix. Complex, contrapuntal harmony lines are coming out of Julian's guitar...along with the occasional polytonic wandering. Ah, I love it when people aren't confined by the key and it totally works.
In addition, the Orphans have thrown a couple of new songs at us, and dusted off a couple from BC's solo album. One of these oldies-but-goodies is the story-driven song, John, which I would love to put on repeat a few times tonight after I leave. Also, they've re-arranged an old favorite, When Did It Begin, adding maturity and a sense of meditative space that until hearing it tonight, I never realized the song needed so badly.
In racap of tonight, I'd say that the Orphans have a bit of work ahead of them as they integrate Julian into the lineup. They could stand to be tighter, and I think that once it's battened down we'll really get to hear Julian's guitar shine. Of course this is their first gig together, and they were entirely captivating - it won't take them long to be on top of their game. Also, the sense of musical interplay that I'm seeing between the three of them onstage is totally new and I'm really digging it! I have the feeling that half the stuff they're playing is simply coming out of the moment, rather than being dictated by pre-arrangement.
See you around, Orphans. I'll definitely see you around.
No comments:
Post a Comment