Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How Did I Live Before Pandora?!

Today I discovered www.pandora.com


Whoever named this site has a sick, and accurate, sense of humor. There is no better way to sum up the sickeningly satisfying experience of toxic obsession that is handpicked-web-radio. Like masechistic Pandora opening a box of pain on the world, again and again, I kept going back over and over to create yet another playlist. The thing about Pandora is that it uses my musical affinities to cater not only my taste, but also my up-to-the-minute musical mood.


For example...early this morning I was feeling pretty mellow and typed in "Beirut"...suddenly Pandora had created an unending playlist of artists and songs that offer a similar sound.


Later in the day I craved a mellow dance beat and created a "Morcheeba Playlist"...and voila!: stacked like dominoes, as far as the ear could hear I had a lineup of smooth electronic, groove.


The sick and wonderful thing about Pandora is that it drops artist after artist right in your cyber-lap...all specially chosen based on what you said you want to hear! There's a little "bookmark this artist" icon next to each new song that pops onto the playlist....let's just say I've already amassed a list as long as my mousepad of new artists to google, myspace-stalk, and generally research.


*sigh*


In the words of Oliver Twist: "Please sir, may I have some more?"

No comments: