I discovered French singer/songwriter, Camille's, music a year ago when I kidnapped my friend, Paul to drive me 8 hours to an Indigo Girls concert. En route to the show we had plenty of time to talk and exchange musical tidbits - little did I know that Paul would drop this gem of an artist on me!
Born and raised in Paris, Camille composed her first song at the age of 16. Later she expanded her music to performances in Parisian jazz clubs, and contributed songs and collaboration to several movie soundtracks. Camille signed with Virgin Records in 2002 and her first album, Le Sac des Filles, was produced.
While I enjoy all of Camille's work, I am particularly enraputured with her sophmore album , Le Fil, or "the thread." This avant-garde, conceptual work incorporates a continual "thread" or low drone that is present through the entire album. Instrumentally, the album is sparce, using only a double bass, keyboard and some body percussion for accompaniment. Vocally, however, the album aggressively explores range, and expression. The wide variety of rich, layered vocal textures and mouth percussion proves without a doubt that this woman is more than a singer - she is an instrument.
Click Here To Enter Camille's Website
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This woman truly is a gem. It is one of my favorite albums.
lanae, you have very good taste! :)
Post a Comment